Sunday 3 February 2013

GOSH, free health care

 Great Ormond Street Hospital-tearjerker!
It’s funny how transmission works, even without knowing the relevant cultural references, or understanding the language. Chinese friends were curious about the opening ceremony of the London Olympics- how did it compare to Beijing’s??, and I was happy to oblige, using my VPN to access the official Olympic channel on YouTube.

I thought they would find the beginning, with the children singing, very moving, but didn’t expect it to move my friends to tears, as they didn’t understand the words. The NHS was incredibly moving for my Chinese friends too- free healthcare, imagine that! They were absolutely incredulous to discover that most of the performers were volunteers, who took time off from work to attend the rehearsals. They said this would never happen in China.

They loved the opening ceremony (so did I!) and said they found it much more soulful and meaningful than the Zhang Yimou directed Beijing Olympics opening ceremony. They explained that he isn’t very popular in China, because people think that his movies tend to be about beautiful cinematography, nice colours, but not much of a storyline. That surprised me. Zhang is certainly more popular in SE Asia!

3 comments:

  1. Darling,dad n I are very worried abt the air poll.Do take good of yrself n aiso mind the fireworks during the new year season.love u lots

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very interesting take on Zhang Yimou!So which directors do Chinese people like then?

    ReplyDelete