Tuesday 19 February 2013

Mangoes!

It’s been a while since I’ve had a really juicy, tasty mango. Maybe when I was in Mumbai. Today, I was delighted to find at my local street market, these luscious little mangoes. The vendor assured that they were so delicious, she could eat 6 of them in one go.    

I ate 3 mangoes, but only to reduce sample bias.  They were utterly delicious, and definitely the kind of mango you’d never ever find in a supermarket- small, thin skinned, and fragrant. The seed was also really flat and tiny, approximately the same thickness as a piece of cardboard (really!). So plenty of mango in one tiny fruit!

Nowadays, with the distances that fruit has to travel from the orchard to get to the supermarket shelf, soft skinned fruit like mangoes and tomatoes have been selectively bred to have thick skins, all the better to weather bumpy transportation. 

I’m drying out these mango seeds, to try to grow them, back in S’pore. Then all I have to do is wait 8 years to taste the fruits of my labour! Anyone who’d like to try out one of these mango seeds, please let me know. I’d be delighted to eat an extra mango on your behalf : P

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes! They're totally flat, never seen anything like it before. I love genetic diversity!

      Delete